An article by
Dr. Martin Berger
Table of content
In the usual way, we look at public data from the ECB or EBA Clearing every two months and estimate the spread of or participation in instant payments in the SEPA area by consumers or banks. As a reminder: our contribution SEPA Instant Credit Transfer: Transfers up to € 100K in 10 seconds explains the essential properties of SEPA Instant scheme.
The following can be summarized in August 2021:
- Furthermore approx. 24% of all BIC bank codes in the SEPA area are connected to SCT Inst.
- Since June 2021, 15 other financial institutions have been registered as SCT Inst participants.
- The linear increase in SCT Inst transaction volume or SCT Inst amount volume recorded on the basis of data from EBA Clearing will also continue in August 2021.
- The number of TIPS and RT1 participants (measured in BIC bank codes) continues to grow steadily.
In the further part of the article there are detailed analyzes with corresponding graphics.
Instant Payments in SEPA: Comparison of SCT Inst vs. SCT availability in the SEPA area
Based on the data from ECB from July 1st, 2021, from EBA Clearing from Augusth 10th, 2021 and the Bundesbank’s directory of available payment service providers as of August 23th, 2021, the percentage of SCT-participating payment service providers (measured using their BIC bank codes) is analyzed which have also opted for SCT Instant participation in the SEPA countries. The data on which the map is based are listed in the following table:
Instant Payments in SEPA: Statistics from ECB and EBA Clearing
Statistics from EBA Clearing
The following figure shows the average daily Instant SEPA Payments transaction volume processed via RT1 from January 2020 to June 2021. An almost linear increasing trend can still be seen here.
The following figure shows the average daily SEPA Inst volume in EUR million processed via RT1 from January 2020 to June 2021. As expected, a similarly increasing trend can be seen here as well.
The following figure shows the average transfer amount for Instant SEPA transfers for the period January 2020 to June 2021:
Number of BIC bank code participants in TIPS or RT1
The following figure shows the number of BIC bank codes participating in TIPS and RT1 in the period from May 2020 to August 2021. A slowly increasing trend can still be seen.
New participating banks since June 2021
New TIPS participants since June 2021 are:
|1||NORISBANK GMBH||Reachable Party||DE|
|2||ONEY BANK||Reachable Party||FR|
|3||OLKY PAYMENT SERVICE PROVIDER S.A.||Reachable Party||FR|
|4||OLKY PAYMENT SERVICE PROVIDER||Reachable Party||LU|
The Austrian Posojilnica Bank eGen left as TIPS participant since June 2021.
New RT1 participants since June 2021 are:
|3||Bankhaus E. Mayer AG||DE|
|4||Sberbank Europe AG Zweigniederlassung Deutschland||DE|
|5||OPEN BANK SA||ES|
|7||Banca Progetto S.p.A||IT|
|10||VIA PAYMENTS UAB||LT|
|12||BGL BNP Paribas S.A.||LU|
Our data sources
Here we evaluate the current status of participation in Instant SEPA Payments with public data from the European Central Bank (ECB) and EBA Clearing (EBA stands for Euro Banking Association) from May 2020 to August 2021.
Further information on Instant Payments in SEPA
This article is part of a series on Instant SEPA Payments and builds on these articles:
- Instant SEPA Payments: Current figures from June 2021
- SEPA Credit Transfer Instant: Analysis of the adoption in April 2021
- Instant Payment System: News and insights from February 2021
- SEPA Instant Payments: News and insights from December 2020
- Instant Payment: News and insights from October 2020
- SCT Instant Payment: participation analysis within SEPA area (August 2020)
- SEPA Instant Credit Transfer Register of Participants: a data analysis (June 2020)
Do you want to find out more?
Among other things, we offer a high-performance software solution for processing SCT Inst transfers. If you have any questions, suggestions or are interested in the topic of payment transactions, Instant Payments in SEPA and software products, please contact us.